Wednesday 24 January 2018

DT Inspiration - 5 stencils, 5 ways to use them

Bonjour !

Izzy here. I echo Sarah's beautiful post of last Sunday with a series of cards using stencils.

There are 5 stencils (until now !) in the Uniko's collection, so I wanted to show you 5 different ways to use them.

1. Inking through with ink

 

For this card I simply masked the border of the double white card, then I layed down my stencil and I blended the different Distress inks through the Scattered Polka dots stencil. I drew black lines with a fine liner and I stamped and black heat embossed the sentiment. 

Supplies:

Stamps : Uniko "Festive Sentiments" (happy) and "Happy Succulents" (Birthday).
Inks: Distress "Picked raspberry, Spiced marmalade, Mustard seed, Mowed Lawn, Salty ocean, Wilted violet".

2. With embossing paste (or whatever paste or gel)


Embossing paste is a great way to give dimension to your card.

On a soft pink shimmery cardstock I layed down the Lattice stencil and I spread a layer of embossing paste. I let it dry and then I adhered it onto a white double card.

On the same pink cardstock, I stamped the rose with Versamark and I heat embossed it with silver pearl EP. I added some dimension with pink coloured pencil and I fussy cut it. 
I die cut some foliage in a white shimmery cardstock and I stamped the sentiment on a strip of this cardstock too. 

To finish I mounted the sentiment, the foliage and the rose with Glue Dots over the stencilled panel.

Supplies:

Stamps : Uniko "Pure Florals: Rose" and "Flower Power #2" (sentiment).
Die: Uniko "Originally Organic"
Others: Faber-Castell Polychromos "#119", Wendy Vecchi "Embossing Paste", WOW "Silver Pearl" EP.


3. Using Brushos


This technique is a first for me and I'm rather happy with the artsy result. You never know what you will obtain with Brushos, and that's the funny part ! I put the Doodle Flower stencil on top of a mixed media paper, I sprinkled the Brushos over the stencil, sprayed with water, and I quickly removed the stencil and I let it dry.
On a heavy weight cardstock I stamped and black heat embossed the sentiment. The hardest part has been to fussy cut it but it worths the work because we can see the lovely stencilled pattern through it !
To finish, I adhered a black cardstock to the back of the stencilled pattern before mounting it on the double card. Then I glued the sentiment on top of it.

Supplies:

Stamps : Uniko "Big & Bold - Hugs"
Brushos: "ost. red"
Others: Hero Arts "Black" EP.


4. Inking through with Versamark


I love this technique since it enables you to use your stencils as a stamp to after heat emboss with embossing powder. 

I made this pattern panel in three steps. First I put the Broken Lines stencil on top of a white cardstock and I sponged it with Versamark. I took it off and I white heat embossed.
Secondly I put the stencil back on top of the cardstock but I previously give it a turn so that the lines are once horizontal and the other time vertical. And I started again : sponged with Versamark and white heat embossed.
Thirdly, I inked the embossed panel with Distress ink and I die cut part of a circle.
Then, on a double white card I stamped and black heat embossed the sentiment and I foam mounted the stencilled panel. To finish I glued some sequins.

Supplies:

Stamps : Uniko "Pure Florals: rose" and "Big & Bold - Hugs"
Inks: Versamark, Distress "Wilted violet, Ripe persimmon, Spiced marmalade, Mustard seed"
Sequins: Neat & Tangled "Pumpkin Mix", Little Things from Lucy's cards "Candyfloss & Magical".


5. Dry embossing


It's also a great way to use your stencil and it gives as good a result as with an embossing folder. 

I put the Wonky Stripes stencil on top of a white cardstock and I ran it through my die cutting machine. On another cardstock, I used this stencil and I inked through with 3 Distress shades. I cut wonky stripes of them and I stamped and black heat embossed the sentiment on one of them. I also inked 3 flowers that I die cut with the matching dies.
To finish I foam mounted the embossed panel on a double white card and I adhered the wonky stripes and the flower on top of it.

Supplies:

Stamps : Uniko "Flower power #2"
Die: Uniko "Flower Power #1-#6 Collection"
Inks: Distress "Peacock Feather, Spiced marmalade, Mustard seed".

I hope you liked the different ways shown here to stretch the use of your stencils and use them a lot more ! This list is not exhaustive and there is surely other way to use the stencils !

Thanks for stopping by and have a fabulous day !

Izzy xx





9 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards with stencils !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely cards with cool techniques :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super post Izzy, so many different techniques showcased and explained. Great inspiration, will be looking at my stencils with all this in mind next time I have a play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply brilliant ideas and so many techniques that I definitely need to try! Thanks for the inspiration xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! These are absolutely fantastic! Great to see so many techniques used. I really must get into my craft room and play a bit. Thanks for the inspiration Izzy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW to the nth degree, Izzy! Fabulous techniques; I'm especially smitten with the dry embossing! Looking forward to playing when I get back to my craft room (as of today, I haven't crafted for a WEEK! Marking diploma exams, so not at home. On the plus side, I'm at my mom's, spending time with her and, of course, my sweet niece and nephew!). Thanks for the inspiration!
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merci Izzy pour ces belles démonstrations ! Tu as ouvert largement l’éventail des techniques d’utilisation de nos stencils.
    Dorénavant je regarderai différemment mes pochoirs 😉 !
    Bises.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Izzy, you turned a great bunch of stenciled background into awesome cards! Can't say which one I like most, but the restist technique with the Broken Lines is one of my favorites.

    Greetings from Wiebke

    ReplyDelete
  9. fabulous technique thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Comments Appreciated